Whether you just moved in on a new house or just installed new impact windows, it is necessary to know the basics of proper maintenance of impact windows. To ensure your products continue to perform optimally and to protect your warranty, proper care and maintenance are essential — and simple with the helpful tips below.
Essential Best Practices
The following items should never be used on your windows, screens, doors, or hardware. Your warranty can be voided as a result, and your products can become damaged.
CLEANING TIPS & TRICKS
At least once a year, you should clean all the materials listed below. Coastal residents should increase cleaning to once a month to avoid corrosion from salt water. Your unique environmental factors may make more frequent cleaning necessary.
- Begin by rinsing your glass with clean water to remove dirt and dust particles that can cause scratches during the cleaning process. As mentioned above, avoid using a power washer or garden hose.
- Apply a soft, water-saturated cloth or a pre-mixed glass cleaner to the surface.
- Rinse and dry any run-down quickly to prevent the cleaning solution from leaving a residue on your glass. If you prefer a pre-mixed glass cleaner, follow the printed instructions carefully.
- Rinse your glass thoroughly with clean water to prevent the cleaning solution from leaving a film on your glass. As stated above, avoid using a power washer or garden hose.
GLASS CLEANING TIP
For the best results, clean your glass during cooler temperatures without direct sunlight.
Wash your glass frequently to remove surface dirt and prevent stains.
Frames should be rinsed with clean water to remove dirt and dust, which could cause scratches as you clean. Do not use a power washer or garden hose.
- Mild soap and water are all that’s needed to clean the interior and exterior of your window or door frames. Always test your cleaning solution on a small, inconspicuous spot first.
Once a year, a light car-wax solution should be applied to your frames. Clean frames before applying to avoid corrosive sea salt permeating the frames.
Always remove your screens carefully and be sure your cleaning station is flat and clear of debris.
Mild soap and water on a soft brush will gently remove dirt, salt, and other deposits. Avoid harsh scrubbing or metal implements that can tear or damage your screens.
Reinstall your screen carefully once it is completely dry.
The wheels on your sliding glass door(s) do not require lubrication.
- Preserve easy operation on moving parts like hinges and thumb turns with a light oil lubricant. Examples include mineral oil and light plant-based oils, like hemp, olive, or grapeseed.
- A simple damp cloth or a mild mixture of soap and water are all you need to clean weatherstripping. Always be sure to rinse and dry thoroughly. If weatherstrip is damaged, replace it right away to ensure effective sealing.
- Weather drainage (weep system) should be inspected and cleaned frequently to ensure optimal drainage.
Tracks and sills should be carefully wiped with a damp cloth. A vacuum cleaner can also be used to remove dust and dirt in hard-to-reach areas.
Best Impact Windows Provider in Southwest Florida
Guardian Hurricane Protection, since 1990, has years of experience in all facets of window and door replacement projects and hurricane protection. We can provide high quality and durable impact-resistant windows, energy-efficient options, and vinyl and aluminum frames.